Monday, July 27, 2009

Why I like working...

Typical Sunday night- the anticipation and dread of the work week ahead started to percolate. The feeling that I wasn't quit rested and didn't get enough prep done for the week, plus general anxiety of parting with Lola once again prevailed. So welcome week beginning…

Then, a funny thing happened. I got to work, settled in, and the day just started moving along. I had a few meetings, scheduled a few more, and I got some details/people moving to keep planning of my project moving along. I had a few laughs with Dave and others out in cubeland before lunch, and I rounded things out with a Amy's frozen dinner and a quick surf of the Nordstroms site (Anniversary Sale in progress, yesss). I watched a new video of Lola on my iPhone and I missed her, but I didn't feel sad. I bet Jenni is trying to feed her some solid food right about now, and that makes me happy.

So right now, in this moment, work makes me happy. I started the day feeling tired, a little out of control, overburdened. Once I got in the office, in the course of a few hours, I set the direction of the day and week, moved our team a little closer to making decisions, and learned a few new things (about integrated test environments,anyhoo). Today I owned something, I learned something, and I improved something. When the workday is done, I can go get Lola at 5:30 and play a little, have dinner with Kevin, and call it a day.

So for today, it is good. Working Mom is good...

No comments:

Post a Comment